Every death is hard to deal with, and this difficulty includes both the loss itself and the stressful preparation that needs to take place between the death and a funeral home in Fruit Cove, FL. Learn more about this process so you can be better prepared when faced with a loss.
There are 8 main steps that everyone must follow after a death:
- Report the Death – The first step is to report the death to the proper authorities. If the death is at a hospital, nursing home, or hospice, the officials there will know what to do and will make the report for you. If you are at home, or have no other options, call 911.
- Prepare To Work With A Funeral Director – You will need the assistance of a funeral director to complete the death certificate, transport and store the body. Take note if the deceased made pre-arrangements for his or her funeral or cremation, and be prepared to relay these wishes to the director.
- Pick a Type of Service – There are several service options you need to be prepared to choose from:
- Funerals, in which the service is held before the body is cremated or buried and the body is present
- Memorials, in which the service is help after the body is buried or cremated and therefore not present
- Make Cemetery Arrangements – If you choose to inter the remains after the funeral or cremation, you will need to make cemetery arrangements. Decide where the burial will take place, and if necessary purchase a plot. If you’re unsure where to start, your funeral director or cremation assistant will most likely be affiliated with a cemetery and can help you find a plot. You could also check with your church, synagogue or other place of worship for further guidance.
- Make Service Arrangements – Feel free to get creative when making memorial or funeral service arrangements to make the service personal and meaningful. Flowers, music, pre or post service events and other special touches help make the service personal for you and the deceased.
- Plan Formal Transportation – You will need to make arrangements for the body to be transported from the place of death to the funeral home, and also to the cemetery if you choose burial.
- Inform The Family and Write Death Notice – Personally inform all close family, friends and loved ones of the death, ideally over the phone or in person. If you’re nervous, take the time to write a script to help you make key points. Don’t forget to write and release a death notice to notify the rest of the friends, coworkers, associates etc.
- List Pre-Service Tasks – Make a list of what you need to accomplish before the service to help you stay organized and not forget anything important. This list could include your attire, personal items or collecting photos.
Naugle Funeral Home & Cremation Services is a Fruit Cove, FL funeral home located at 808 Margaret St Jacksonville, FL 32204. We can help you with all these steps and more. Give us a call at (904) 683-9288 today.